Monday, March 16, 2015

The NYC Vegetarian Food Festival



Took the family to NYC Vegetarian Food Festival on Saturday. I discovered a yummy vegan cheese that actually had the texture and taste of cheese. A very creamy vegan mayo that’s made with avocado.  A great seven-nut-butter.

Mostly went to hear Rich Roll speak. He’s an ultra-triathlete who follows a vegan diet for optimal performance and fastest recovery. He has done things like five Iron-Man length triathlons in five days. While his podcast had me thinking he was a bit “out there”, in person I really connected with his personal story and saw his path as a very understandable one to have taken to shake his own demons and restore wellness. Went up and thanked him for his talk. But there were a zillion people wanting his attention, so I didn’t stick around to ask anything.

 
A lot of the folks were there because they are motivated by compassion for animals, not necessarily optimal human health and wellness. While they really are thinking on a higher ethical plane than my own self-serving reasons for following a vegan diet, I don’t need another beets-and-soy vegan “hotdog” any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment